|This Article needs additional content. (Remove this when complete.)|
The Smythe-Websters are a rich family whose wealth and power dominate the two villages of Upper Warden and Lower Warden. The Head of the Manor's nephew, Larry, is killed in an explosion which appears to be related to the recent making of a horror film based on the village's history. Larry's Uncle Frank was producing the film and sees the death as good publicity. Barnaby and Troy begin to wonder just how far the Smythe-Websters would go for more money and power.
- John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby
- Daniel Casey as Sgt. Gavin Troy
- Jane Wymark as Joyce Barnaby
- Barry Jackson as Dr. George Bullard
- Ronald Pickup as Rupert Smythe-Webster
- Beth Goddard as Wendy Smythe-Webster
- Christopher Good as Simon Smythe-Webster
- Phoebe Nicholls as Laura Smythe-Webster
- Jonathan Hyde as Frank Webster
- Leo Bill as Darren
- Jo Stone-Fewings as Danny Pinchel
- Tim Preece as Jack Wilson
- Anne Reid as Sarah Proudie
- Alex Lowe as Phil Harrison
- Charlie Beall as Larry Smith
- Rebecca Johnson as Anne
- Danielle Tilley as Emily
- Katy Murphy as Helen
- Jack Chissick as Murdoch
- Brett Reylander as Policeman (uncredited)
- Tom: "Stop Troy, stop. We go down the hill, Troy"
- Troy: "I thought we were going to Upper Warden."
- Tom: "Yeah, we are. Upper Warden is down the hill; Lower Warden is up the hill."
- Troy: "That doesn't make any sense."
- Tom: "Troy, this is Midsomer!"
- Troy: "Sorry, I forgot"
- — Tom and Troy